This script creates a PDF file using a Google Doc template and the values in a Google Spreadsheet. It is a development of this script , where this one allows you to specify the name of the PDF in the GSheet and a recipient to send it to.
This is the development of a simpler script that doesn’t have the renaming and email options. And there is also this variant which does not merge anything into a template document but can be used to convert any type Google Doc (a Google Slide for example) into a PDF and email it.
The script takes the fields from the active row in the active sheet the script is contained in and using a Google Doc template (identified by TEMPLATE_ID) creates a PDF doc with these fields replacing the place-holders in the template. The place-holders are identified by having a % either side, e.g. %Name%. It is invoked by the “Create PDF” menu. You can also optionally specify an name for the PDF file in a column called “File Name” and automatically get the PDF emailed to someone by specifying a recipient in a “Email” column.
So to use:
- Create a Google Doc as a template using the place-holders with %’s around the words, e.g. %Name%. Make a note of the ID number (https://docs.google.com/document/d/ID NUMBER HERE/edit).
- Create a new Google Spreadsheet and give it header names (first row) that match up with the placeholders minus the %’s, e.g. Name or Age (it is case-sensitive), and optionally one called “File Name” to specify the name of the PDF file created and “Email” to specify who the PDF should be emailed to.
- Copy the script into code.gs in the script editor (Tools > Script editor), paste the template ID number into TEMPLATE_ID value (between the ”s) and add a file name for the new PDF in PDF_FILE_NAME if you don’t want to use the template name.
- If you are sending the PDF as an email attachment also complete EMAIL_SUBJECT and EMAIL_BODY.
- Put the actual values you want to use in the spreadsheet under the appropriate columns, one row for each PDF file.
- Click a cell on a row of values you would like to use to select that row and click the custome menu”Create PDF > Create PDF”.
The new PDF will be created after a few moments in the root of your Google Drive.